Monday, February 1, 2010

Skip Day 1/28

So the weirdest thing about flying overseas is that we lost a day..no I didn’t forget to blog there just wasn’t a 27th for me! I didn’t sleep on the first two flights just so I could sleep on the ride to Brisbane. I slept most of the time, watched a few shows and a movie. It was sweet we had our own TV with a bunch of movies, shows, comedy stations, radio etc. anything you could really think of. It even showed us our progress across the country and destination time! It was really difficult though to not be able to walk around and they fed us like 3 meals… not used to that, can’t say they were any good, but didn’t have much choice. The downfall to sleeping for so long is that our ankles swelled up into some nice cankles…wasn’t sure if they were ever going to deflate…I thought I was gonna walk around with those bad boys the rest of the trip in Cairns.

The Brisbane airport was insane. We had a delay due to some mechanical difficulties and some really smart engineer forgot about our little plane that was sneaking up to the door to let all 500 of us off. Come to find out after almost everyone is in the isle we are about a half a foot off and everyone has to sit down again (because 14 hours isn’t enough) so we could inch up to the door! So therefore we had about 45 minutes to depart the plane, get our bags (all 4 of us), go through customs, take a shuttle to our gate, check our bags again, and find our gate. Luckily some nice Australian woman adopted us girls and was making it happen. It was freakin great! This lady was waving people down, clearing lanes for us to run, holding bags while we grabbed others, giving orders to airport workers, haha she was wonderful. Oh and did I mention that Brisbane was 90 something and humid as hell!!! And for those people who really know me and are reading this, you can only imagine what a sweaty kid I was! We made it to our gate literally right as people were boarding. I’m not sure how we made it but I know we wouldn’t have without our airport mom.

We arrived at Cairns where it was just as hot. A taxi drove us to where we were staying…and he drove on the opposite side of the road then we do! (On a side not those taxi drivers are insane they don’t yield to anyone or anything, if you don’t move you get hit!) I got a good kick out of the Bohemian Resort a.k.a. a hostel. I’ve been to my fair share of hostels from lacrosse and such and it was actually really nice! It was 6 of us girls in one room. That’s nothing compared to about 15 of us girls in a room in California! It was funny to hear some of the girls reaction to the “resort”, especially the few that haven’t ever stayed in one before. After we got settled our leader Jay started up the barbeque for a sausage sizzle…similar to a brat on a piece of bread..which wasn’t weird to me?? I didn’t see the difference in that one. There was a really nice pool and a hot tub…well actually it was a cold tub and I thought it was a hot tub and about died…thinking who would want to sit in that thing when it’s 90 and humid!

Later that evening we went to dinner, I ordered a veggie burger and it was bigger then my head! Shar and I went to order a beer up at the bar we pointed and said, “We want two of those old styles please”—the bartender looked at us and shot back “they’re all old style” hehe woops, you live you learn ;) By the time dinner was over it was about 8pm Australian time and about 6am US time. I could have literally gone to bed at 4pm that night! We were all exhausted and I couldn’t stop feeling like I was on a plane…it was REALLY REALLY ANNOYING. I had jet lag real bad, I didn’t think I would, but I was absolutely wrong.

Love,
Jayme

No comments:

Post a Comment